Every group has that one person, the one who needs to know every detail and every planned time.
How do you answer their questions when you don’t yet know the answer or don’t want to share that information?
Frame of Reference
Ask your group members to think about when they’ve traveled in the past, it doesn’t have to be in a group.
- Has it ever taken an hour and a half to drive 5 miles because of a car accident?
- Have you ever taken a detour, because something on the drive looked interesting?
- Has a last minute hotel change been necessary due to renovations?
- Have you planned a visit to a site, just to get there to find it under repair and covered in scaffolding?
- Has anyone ever gotten stuck in an elevator? Or lost a passport?
- Have you ever had to cancel a trip due to illness?
Life doesn’t stop on vacation or while you are on tour. Most of our tours travel without delay. These anecdotes are not meant to scare you. They are to get you to understand how to shift the focus of your travelers, to understand why they might not be privy to every detail or time.
A successful tour can and will adapt based on the needs of the group. If the itinerary allows you may get an extra 30 minutes to sleep. These pleasant changes are possible because no one is holding you to a departure time printed in the itinerary.